While suffering from Hashimoto’s thyroiditis or Graves’ Disease, your immune system mistakes molecules in your thyroid gland as foreign, and subsequently, attacks them. This attacks causes inflammation chemicals to be released throughout your body, resulting in symptoms such as fatigue, mental fog, and mood changes. These symptoms can seriously affect your quality of life if not brought to the attention of your doctor. Depression and anxiety are commonly seen amongst sufferers of autoimmune diseases.
In addition to having you doctor test and treat any diagnosed thyroid imbalance with thyroid hormones, there are a few other things you can do to help reduce inflammation in your body.
- Switching to a thyroid/immune friendly diet (low-glycemic, high fiber and avoidance of foods that irritate your immune system such as gluten, dairy, and possibly other foods) will help to calm the immune system. Having food sensitivity testing done, and focusing on eliminating the foods your immune system is reactive to helps tremendously.
- Sleep issues are known factors that negatively affect the immune system. Addressing sleep deprival, sleep interruption, and sleep apnea is important for reducing inflammation chemicals.
- Have your doctor test your Vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency results in a more reactive immune system. Correcting this with Vitamin D supplementation will help boost your immune system greatly.
- Taking a good probiotic, omega-3 supplement, and a well-balanced mix of vitamins, antioxidants, and natural ingredients (i.e. Turmeric, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and others ), such as Thyrolife Optima, are beneficial to the immune system. Dr. Arem’s Thyroid Wellness Program contains 3 amazing supplements (Probiotic 7-7, Omega, and Optima) all of which were designed for thyroid sufferers. These supplements will reduce inflammation throughout the body, and will also benefit the immune system.
- Stress management practices such as yoga, meditation, or Tai Chi have been proven to reduce inflammation chemicals.
These practices, along with any necessary thyroid hormone replacement therapy, will give you optimal results, and you will see improvement in your symptoms!